Wednesday, December 21, 2011

First Impression: Death Note, Blood +, Faster Than a Kiss

Hello, so I thought I would stop by and give you my impressions of the few anime and the manga that I am currently into. Just a few brief summaries of each.

Death Note(デスノート)- 37 episodes | 2006 | PG-14 | 4/10

Currently I am on episode 4 of this anime, and I must say that I had been looking at it for months and for some reason I could never just get myself to actually watch it. Maybe because it just wasn't my style, but I don't really know. All I know is that my instinct was right and it is really not the anime for me.

Now, this is one of the most popular animes ever created, so maybe I'm missing something, but I'll tried to talk about it objectively. It is about a boy named "Light" who one day finds a notebook where if he writes someone's name down in it, they will die. No matter what. Light decides to use this book for "justice" by writing down names of criminals and eventually this causes a big uproar in Japan. Light finds out also that the Death Note belongs to a Shinigami (a Japanese god of death, kind of like a Grim Reaper if that helps) who watched over Light's decisions. He is kind of creepy in my opinion.

Anyways, overall I don't think that I am going to keep watching this anime, but I highly suggest this for anyone who is into death stuff/supernatural/mysteries/etc... there has to be some reason why this is so popular! So I may check out the manga version to see if it is any different and get back to you.

Blood + - 50 episodes | 2005 | PG-if you don't like blood don't watch this | 6/10

So I am on episode 6 of this anime and I would have to say that I think I like the story, it is just bad because THE VOICE ACTING IS SO BAD (at least in the English version)! I think I will have to re-watch this anime in the original Japanese if I really get into it because the voice acting is just awful. Seriously. So distracting.

I think in order to fully understand the story, you should watch the original movie Blood: The Last Vampire because the anime roughly picks up at the end of that and I find that a lot of the times I don't really understand what they are referring to because of that. But anyways, the story is about a girl named Saya Otanashi who is suffering from amnesia so she doesn't remember anything from before the last year when she was adopted into her current family. Which makes sense, considering she used to be a vampire. A very cruel one at that. The military is using her, waiting for the vampire in her to "wake up" so that she can fight these disgusting creatures, called Chiropteran which I guess are kind of like Chimeras...(I would link a Chimera to a description, but the thing I am thinking of are the half human/half animal creatures from Fullmetal Alchemist. - hey look! My inner otaku is coming out!)

If you watch this anime closely, you can really see the symbolism between the Japanese versus the Americans, like how she uses a traditional sword and the U.S. military is really secretive and what not. I guess that I would suggest this anime to anyone who really (and I mean really) likes blood, because as the name promises, there is definitely blood... plus the rest of the story. Haha. Did anyone get that pun? Anyways, it's a good action story full of conflict so far. Just please... watch it in Japanese. I sincerely hope that it is better.

Faster Than a Kiss (キスよりも早く - Kissu Yorimo Hayaku) -  9+ volumes | PG - 13 | 8/10

I just started this manga last week and I am on chapter 30 (I don't know what volume that would be - I'm reading it on MangaFox.

I really like the story, it is about a girl and her brother who run away from their foster home because their parents died and they have nowhere to go so the 16 year old girl's teacher takes them in. He is really nice and they are so cute together. This manga is definitely a light comedy full of sexual innuendoes. I'll admit that at times the story can get kind of repetative, but then something is always thrown in to mix it up. I just wish that they would just kiss already!

They have lived together for almost a year and they still haven't kissed! Random situations that would be perfect pop up and yet they never do anything! I is making me so frustrated! Agh!

Haha anyways, I suggest this manga for anyone who likes romantic comedy shojo mangas. It's not exactly for deep thinkers, but it is fun to pass the time. I really like the characters, too. Her little brother is so cute!

Thanks for stopping by!
Otaku R

P.S. Did you know that Death Note is banned in some places in China because students would replicate the notebook and write down the names of their enemies and friends of teachers in it? Creepy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment