Saturday, April 28, 2012

Manga Review: Suki; A Like Story (すき。だからすき)

3 Volumes | 1999 | CLAMP | 10/10

The title literally translates to "I like you, that's why I like you".

This is my first time reviewing a manga so please forgive me.


Suki, simply put, is a manga about liking. Simply, honestly, innocently. Hinata Asahi is a sixteen-year-old girl with the maturity of a little child. She lives alone in a giant house, and one day, someone moves into the house next door that has been empty for years. It turns out that this man is also her new homeroom teacher - his name is Shiro Asou. He is tall, dark, and according to her classmates, handsome. 

As Hina gets to know him, she slowly falls in "like" with him until it fully blossoms into "love" as he "does all of her favorite things" like holding her hand and eating dinner with her. 

However, there is something sinister going on behind the scenes... who is this man, and why are their fates so intertwined? 

Art: Clamp is a well known group of manga-kas (manga artists) in Japan so so their artwork is fairly well know. Personally, I have not had much experience with Clamp's things (I've only ever watched xxxHolic and some of Chobits) so I don't know if Suki is similar to any of their other things, but I personally loved the unique artwork. My favorite thing was how different Hinata looks from your average main character - no long hair and ribbon, but rather a short, boy-like haircut which I think wonderfully emphasizes her childish nature. I wouldn't say the drawings were the greatest things I've ever seen, but the artist certainly didn't slack off and there is a very different style about Suki.

Characters: The characters in Suki are not your average Tsundere or socially awkward teen. The main cast consists of three teenage girls and three adult males. Hinata's best friends have completely different personalities and you can really tell how much they care about her. The men on the other hand were an interesting set of people. Asou is a mysterious character who you can't help but love, Tomoaki is thrown in as a slightly comical character (in my opinion), and Kizu is just there. Overall, it was refreshing to follow such unique and likable characters.

However, excuse me while I focus on Hinata for a moment. 

Personally, I think every person can learn a valuable lesson from Hina-chan. She is overflowing with youthful innocence, judging no one and fearing nothing. Every person she meets is good until proven otherwise and growing up is unnecessary in her eyes. She is not afraid to confess her love. She accepts everything that comes her way and forgives anything that can be forgiven and one day, I hope that I can be as open and free as she is. 
I'm not saying go out an start a conversation with any person you meet in a dark alley, but I know that I certainly learned many valuable things from this amazingly innocent character, and she will always have a wonderful place in my heart.

Story: This story was certainly very unique, but I think one of my favorite things about it was the length. It was beautifully summed up in three volumes and didn't drag on unnecessary plots. There were no unnecessary characters. It's a story about innocence, growing up, trust, forgiveness, and the hardships of life that anyone can conquer. Certainly an uplifting story with sinister elements thrown in for spice.

Overall, I think that this is a story geared more toward the girls, but the lessons found throughout are suitable for any gender or age group. Definitely check it out if you get the chance!

Here, always, 
Otaku R!

0 comments:

Post a Comment