Friday, January 20, 2012

Spotlight: Figma (フィグマ)

Haruhi Suzumiya!
Since this blog is for Otaku's in general, I thought that I should cover a wide variety of topics. Therefore, todays topic is on Figmas which are a type of Japanese figures that have recently become popular in the last 2 years. Now, I have never really been into figures or dolls of any kind (though after all this research I'm thinking of picking one up at my next convention), so I am not necessarily the most knowledgeable on this subject. However, I will try my hardest to write a quality article for all you collectors out there!

"Figma is a relatively new term in the anime figure world which is actually a trademarked Japanese figure manufacturing company under Good Smile (Figma.jp). The term is now commonly associated with anime figures with multiple articulated joints."
As this quote shows, this genre of figure was developed by the Good Smile Company that is based, of course, in Japan. They are known for their quality figurines for popular animes such as K-On (which I am currently watching, a review may go up soon) and Black Rock Shooter.


Tsumugi from K-On! (Gotta love those eyebrows!)
Right now, there is not really a lot of information out about this genre because it is such a new idea. The first figma was apparently one of Haruhi Suzumiya from the anime The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. This came with a special edition version of the PS2 game. Basically the thing that distinguishes figmas from other types of figurines is their ability to move. They have noticeable joints usually located at their elbows and knees, which allows you to switch around their positions. Also, sometimes accessories are included like swords or different faces.  


Some figmas coming out in 2012 that you might be looking forward to are Ika Musume (from Squid Girl) and Saber (from Fate/Zero). They will be available from Good Smile Company in March 2012. The average price for these figmas is usually around 3,500円 or about 45 U.S. dollars. Kind of expensive, but well worth it if you are a collector. 


Thanks for checking this article out!
Otaku R  


Source: Wikipedia


P.S. If anyone can tell me why shows like K-On and The Melancholy of Haruhu Suzumiya are so popular, I would love to hear your opinion! Sometimes I just don't get them...Oh, and Lucky Star! In my opinion, 4-panel manga does not transfer well to anime. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment